North Carolina State Seal

DOC Personnel

DOC Human Resources logo


                                                           Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0

Throughout your career as a state employee, the State of North Carolina contributes to the Teachers’ and State Employees’ Retirement System each year. This contribution is in addition to the amount that employees are required to contribute. Retired employees enjoy a defined benefit pension based on their salary and years of service.

The Retirement System is managed by the State Treasurer's Office. For more information, please access the retirement information available on the web at

How to Apply for Retirement:

1.   Complete the following three forms:

    To download this form from the State Treasurer's web site, click here.

2.    Submit the forms to the unit where you work or directly to DOC Personnel.

Complete projected paper timesheets (DC-113W) and submit. Project your anticipated leave balances as of the end of the last month during which you will work. Submit to the unit where you work or directly to the DOC Personnel.

Please Note:  Applications submitted directly to the Retirement System may be returned to DOC Personnel for completion of the "employer certification" section.

Death Benefit:

The Retirement System's primary purpose is to provide retirement income, however, it recognizes that some employees will not live to enjoy their retirement benefits.  So, it provides a benefit that protects your beneficiary in the event of your death.

Please follow the below procedures to report the death of an employee:

Contacting the Retirement System:

Contact the Retirement System for information about the following:

The Retirement System can be contacted by e-mail at  or by mail at:

Retirement Systems Division
Department of State Treasurer
Albemarle Building
325 North Salisbury Street
Raleigh, NC  27603-1385
Phone:  1-877-NCSECURE (1-877-627-3287)
or 919-733-4191 (within local calling area)
919-807-3050 (within local calling area)


Q. What should I do if I am considering retirement?

Contact the Retirement System by phone to speak with a counselor or schedule an appointment to meet with a counselor at 325 North Salisbury Street, Raleigh by calling 1-877-627-3287 or, if within local calling area, (919)733-4191 or 919-807-3050. Active employees can also go here: NC Dep. of State Treasurer or contact 1-877-NCSECURE (1-877-627-3287).

Q: What requirements do I have to meet in order to retire?

A: For service retirement (unreduced benefit) you reach age 65 and complete 5 years of creditable service, age 60 and complete 25 years of creditable service or 30 years of service at any age. For early retirement (reduced benefit) you reach age 50 and complete 20 years of creditable service or age 60 and complete 5 years of membership service.

Q: How soon should I make application for retirement?

A: Approximately 90 to 120 days before your planned retirement date, you should complete an Application for Retirement. The application cannot be executed more than 120 days prior to your effective date of retirement.

Q: Does the employing unit complete the Employer Certification on the application?

A: No. This is completed by the DOC-Personnel Office and DOC-Payroll.

Q: The application has a space for member ID number. Where do I get this account number?

A: Your member ID is the same as your Beacon Personnel ID number.

Q: What happens to my vacation and sick leave when I retire?

A: You will be paid for vacation leave not to exceed a maximum of 240 hours.  (Note:  Employees that have any Bonus Vacation hours remaining will also be paid for these hours). Any unused sick leave can be used to increase your creditable service. Every 20 days of sick leave equals one month of creditable service.  Any portion of sick leave remaining is an additional month of creditable service.  

Q: Do I have to work the last day of my employment before retiring?

A: No. According to the Office of State Personnel, when you separate from State service due to service or early retirement, vacation leave can be earned or exhausted from the last day that you worked until the effective day of your retirement but only with supervisory approval.

Q: What happens once my application is received by the Retirement System?

A: Upon receipt of your application, the Retirement System will send you a letter acknowledging receipt and the following forms to be completed:

 You will later receive an estimate of the maximum payment you can receive and the payment options which will include the Form 6E (Choosing Your Retirement Payment Option). You will need to complete this form and return to the Retirement System.

Q: When and how can I expect my first retirement payment?

A: The first retirement payment will be mailed to you. Thereafter payments will be deposited on the 25th day of the month in the financial institution account chosen by you when you completed your Form 170.

Q: Will I ever receive an increase in my benefit after retirement?

A: Yes. Your benefit may be increased periodically after retirement to help keep up with the cost-of-living. The legislative increases granted are usually figured as a percentage increase in your monthly benefit.

Q: When I retire can I retain my health insurance coverage?

A: Yes. You should complete a Form HM (Selecting Health Coverage Through the State Health Plan).

Q: What about dependents, can I cover dependents on my health insurance coverage?

A: Yes. In all cases, the full cost of dependent coverage must be paid by you

Q: What if I leave the System before retirement?

A: If you leave the system, you can either receive a refund of your contributions or leave your contributions in and keep all the creditable service you earned to that date.

Q: If I die after retirement, what should my family do?

A: Your survivor(s) should contact the Retirement Systems Division immediately. They will need to provide them with your name, social security number and a certified copy of your death certificate.

Q: What do I have to do to withdraw my money from the Retirement System?

A: You would complete a Form 5 (Withdrawing Your Retirement Service Credit and Contributions).

Q: Where do I get the Form 5?

A: You can get the Form 5 from your employing unit, DOC Personnel, or the Retirement System.  Or, you can click on this link  Form 5 and print the form from the State Treasurer's web site.

Q: How long does it take before I receive my money?

A: State law does not permit the Retirement System to make a refund earlier than 60 days after your separation from employment.


DOC Personnel Home | DOC Home | NC General Assembly | State Personnel | State Personnel Manual
© 1995-2009 North Carolina Department of Correction. All rights reserved.